Apples have been long associated with teachers. It was a popular gift of students to their teachers in hope of getting better grades. The origins of this association is not clearly known although there have been a few attempts of explanations of how it all began. No one can really explain the answer to the question why are apples associated with teachers.
1. The first possible answer to the question why are apples associated with teachers is because of the fact it became one of the traditional presents given to teachers in European countries like Sweden and Denmark in the eighteenth century. Americans also followed this tradition and it grew popularity.
2. The second feasible answer to the question why are apples associated with teachers is because of the popular belief that apples are good for our health. It can keep the doctor away. It is one way of showing concern of parents and children for the teacher’s health. Apples have high amounts of antioxidants that are good for the immune system. This made the apples a meaningful gift.
3. The third feasible answer to the question why are apples associated with teachers is because in the late years of the twenties, people called students who gave gifts to teachers not just apples as “apple-polishers”.
4. The fourth possible answer to the question why are apples associated with teachers is because in the sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries, teachers earn poor wages. The parents gave apples from their orchards so they can give some compensation to the teachers. It is one way for the families to give something back to the teachers at that time. Back then students gave apples in baskets until it became common just to give one apple.
5. Another reason why apples are associated with teachers is because apples are sweet. Teachers are usually sweet people to be around with. They also need to be sweet to young children who need a lot of encouragement as they are growing up. Apples just like chocolates are good gifts to give to someone you care as it reflects the feelings you get from the person.
6. Another good reason why apples are associated with teachers is because back in the eighteenth century, there were plenty of apple trees you can find. It is an inexpensive gift you can give to anyone especially to a teacher who would surely appreciate an apple. People back then can quickly pick up an apple from a tree and give it to the teacher.