Doing easy elementary science projects with the kids can be fun and it does not only have to be done for science fairs. Kids love learning in a fun “Play” way and we can use easy elementary science projects to teach them about the wonders of science without them actually realizing that they are learning. Doing easy elementary science projects with the kids is also a great way for homeschoolers to teach the kids science. I think we must start doing a lot more “little” projects with the kids. Here are a few short fun ones to do with the kids.
Physical changes easy elementary science projects
Physical changes can happen when two substances interact or when energy is applied to one or more of the substances. In this easy elementary science projects we are going to see how substances change and then we are going to reverse the physical changes.
The salt solution physical change experiment
What you need for this science project:
- A measuring cup
- A teaspoon
- A heatproof glass or container
How to do this easy elementary science experiment:
- Pour ½ cup of warm water into your glass or container
- Dissolve 2 teaspoons of the salt into the warm water
- What happens now? The salt becomes invisible, this is a physical change.
- Now place the glass in a warm place and leave it for a few days until all the water has evaporated.
- Observe what has happened. The water evaporated and the salt was left behind in the glass.
- Once again a physical change took place. The salt is now visible once again.
The rock candy physical change experiment
In this easy elementary science project we are going to do more or less the same with a sugar solution.
What you need for this science experiment:
- A small heatproof container such as a beaker
- A piece of string long enough to hang to the bottom of the beaker
- ½ Cup of hot water
- 1 Cup of sugar
- A pencil
How to do this experiment:
- Dissolve the sugar in the water in your beaker
- Once again observe the physical change
- Tie the string around your pencil and place the pencil over the top of the beaker so the string dangles in the water.
- Leave your beaker in a hot dry place for a few days and observe what happens.
- Sugar crystals start forming on the string, a physical change again.
- There you have your rock candy!
A salty work of art easy elementary science project
In this experiment we are going to have fun. This experiment can double up as an easy kids craft as you will be making a lovely painting.
In this experiment we are going to show how salt and food coloring dissolves in water and reverts back when the water evaporates. You will be amazed at the beautiful painting you will end up with. This experiment needs a little more preparation, but is well worth the trouble.
What you need for this experiment cum craft:
- As many containers as colors you intend to use
- Warm water
- As many colors food coloring as you want to use
- Lots of salt
- Thick paper
- Paint brushes
How to do this experiment: